Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Triathlon!

I am going to be doing a Sprint Triathlon on Saturday. I have been training pretty hard, especially the last 2 weeks. Today I found out there are only 6 people signed up so far for it. That sucks, but it also reinforces and will emphasize the reasons I am doing it. Even if it was only me, it shouldn't change the reasons or my desire to do it. (Though I wish I would be able to be lost in the mix a little more.... So here are my reasons: 1) It was a motivator to exercise, lose weight, and get in shape. (I still have far to go, but I have lost 5 pounds in 2 or so weeks!) 2) It is a cool thing that I will feel proud to accomplish, especially 4 months after having a baby. 3) I turn 28 on September 29th. I want to say I accomplished something cool, something for me, by then! 4) Sounds kind of fun, challenging, but fun!
Now here are some things I have learned while training:
*I am still as competitive as ever. I am old, out of shape, and flabby. But man I still have a competitive drive. (I am not sure if this is a good thing.)
*I still care too much what people think. I just moved to a new town, don't know many people, yet find myself wondering if people are judging me as I flail through the water, or about my wet ugly hair as I run, or my form as I am biking...etc. I am doing better. This has been good for me...I am doing this for ME and who cares what others think!
*There are so many different versions of in shape....Swimming is TOTALLY different on the lungs than running. Also, there are skinny girls that I could outrun, outlift, outride, etc. But no fair that they LOOK so much better! Side note: And there are people with amazing calf muscles that have never worked for them. I used to work my fanny off for nice calves but it just isn't in the genes. Thanks mom. Why couldn't I get my dad's calf gene!?
*Swimmers are amazing!!
*Running to music SERIOUSLY helps.
*I am stubborn. (I already knew this, just have had it reinforced many times.)
*I am capable of surviving on very little sleep. (I have been waking up at 5:30 every morning after having been up at least 2 times for feedings in the night!)
*The body is an amazing thing! I could go into this a lot, but I won't. It just is.
*I love food, WAY too much!

And hopefully, after Saturday I will be able to say I accomplished something I never have before and it felt great! And I surprised myself....We will see.

P.S. I will SOOOOOO be making one of these AFTER my race to indulge in.
Chocolate Reese's Cake!
OR
Reese's Mud Pie
Mmmmmm......

1 comment:

shellycoulter said...

Oh...I'm so proud of you, girl! :) You are going to do awesome. i wish I was doing it with you...but I'm pretty sure I would die in the swimming pool! :) ha!